Inspired by the colorblocking trend on this dreary day, I decided to try making my own colorblocked hair accessories! Using just what I had around the house I was able to make these Colorblocked Bobbies quickly and easily. They add a pop of color to brighten up a rainy day ‘do. Here’s how to make your own:
You’ll need: 6 – 10 bobby pins, a piece of cardstock (a junk mail postcard works great), a few fun colored nail polishes and clear nail polish.
- Place the bobby pins on the card stock. Put them close together, but not touching. (i.e. You should be able to slide the card stock on it’s side through the space left between) You’ll be painting on the flat side of the bobby pin.
- Starting one side, take your first polish color and swipe it down all the bobby pins, creating a stripe. Be sure not to do the rounded side or the plastic tip just yet.
- Continue doing this until all the metal area is painted. Try not to overlap the colors, as you’ll get some funky colors on your brush.
- Now carefully grasp the rounded side and the plastic tip of each pin, one by one, and move them up or down (out of the freshly painted area and onto a dry part of the cardstock.) Careful not to touch the wet paint!
- Once in place, carefully paint both the rounded edge and the plastic tip. Let dry for about 5 minutes.
- Grab your clear polish and put a heavy coat on each pin, try not to get it on the cardstock as you don’t want them to get stuck.
- Allow them to dry on the cardstock. When fully dry remove and wear!